genealogy of the Sudweeks & Gibb families
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]


Matches 1 to 6 of 6


   Notes   Linked to 
1 Family stories seem to have at least some truth. Bill Rogers (great grandson of James, grandson of David, son of David Carroll) explained that the family had come to America and worked on the Erie Canal. The 1850 census supports that James Rogers was family was in the right area at the end of the time period of the work on the Erie Canal (when it was being enlarged).

And Vida Rogers Blauvelt (sister to Bill) stated that her family always went back to visit the Lambert Museum in Paterson, Passaic, New Jersey, because her family had some connection to the Rogers Locomotive Works. They would go see the trains at the museum. James Rogers' family moved to Passaic Country after leaving Rochester. They lived in Acquackanonk, until James died in an accident, and then Isabella moved her family into Paterson. The family worked as machinists for the company. It seems possible that there could be a connection to the Jacob Rogers who started this Locomotive works, but the common ancestor would have to have been earlier in Ireland.

Donna Ristenbatt, a descendant of Thomas Rogers (not the son of our James), who is also likely a cousin, also has a similar story, but has more information tracing back into Ireland. It would be great if we could make the connection to her Thomas who was born in 1828, in Emyvale,County Monaghan, Tonyfinnigan, Ireland.
Rogers, James (I164)
2 In the 1910 Census (in Little Falls, Passaic, New Jersey), Georgianna Garrabrant Rogers is listed as the mother of 6 children, 2 living. Garrabrant, Georgiana (I753)
3 OBITUARY: ROBERTS, ANNALISA; 96; of Dearborn; died peacefully on August 19, 2011; at Stoneleigh Residence Hospice of Lansing. She was preceded in death by her husband, William. She is survived by her son, Eric (Joong); her daughters, Diane Kay and Alice Kenyon (Gene); eight grandchildren and eight great grandchildren. She was born Annalisa Kessler in Copenhagen, Denmark. She came to Detroit in 1938 to visit her aunt and work as an au pair. The war prevented her from returning home until 1946, by which time she had married and had a family. Should you wish to make a donation in her memory, please consider Hospice of Lansing. (Detroit Free Press)
Published in Heritage on Aug. 24, 2011 - See more at: 
Kessler, Annalisa (I1699)
4 Sarah Sweet Sudweeks

[This information is taken from a life history by Janiece S. Cooper.]

Sarah Sweet married Henry Sudweeks on 5 Sep. 1843 at the age of 17. Wait Sweet, her father, gave her property as a dowry to add to Henry?s farm. She was the mother of three girls and two boys when she joined the church and decided to come to Utah. They sold the farm and bought oxen for the journey. Henry and the other men had to be taught how to yoke them, which was difficult. Henry was captain of ten wagons on the journey.
They lived in ?Little Cottonwood? at first, where Ann Elizabeth and Phoebe Alice were born, but soon moved south when Johnson?s army came. They stayed in Pleasant Grove for a short time, and then went to Salt Creek (Nephi) for almost six years. There they had three more boys. During this time they were sealed together (17 November 1860) in the Endowment house. Sarah soon afterwards heard from home that her youngest brother had died.
In 1862 in October Conference Brigham Young called three hundred families to settle the cotton mission in southern Utah. Henry Sudweeks was one of those called to go. They moved to Duncan?s Retreat, where John Wait was born. The settlement was small, and there were frequent Indian raids. Finally they went to Virgin City to be in a larger group of people. The dams on the Virgin River were constantly washed out and had to be remade, and homes and belongings were frequently flooded, food ruined, and animals drowned or swept away.
Then Henry was called to operate a flour mill in St. George. They had a town lot with a little garden. But there was very little water and not much would grow.
?One day two squaws, one carrying a papoose, called at the house. One of them had a belt around her waist to which some bags were attached. She noticed the paleness of my children and myself. She said, ?Children heap sick, you heap sick.? She then opened one of the bags and poured out some meal which she mixed into thin little cakes. She cooked them over the coals of the fire. She gave a cake to each of my small children, and one to me. The taste was sweet and nutritious. When asked what the meal consisted of, the squaw answered, ?dry powdered grasshoppers and crickets.??
Two of her sons died in the summers of 1867 and 1868. They had very little food to eat, and often ate boiled pigweed.
Lewis D. Bunce, who had married three of Sarah and Henry?s daughters in a plural marriage (along with one other wife), abandoned his wives and 12 children. After that, all three of the girls married non-Mormon men. Sarah and Henry?s son James Heber also left and they didn?t hear from him again.
Sarah heard from her family in Illinois that her parents had died and her sister?s husband?s newspaper office was lost in the ?Great Chicago Fire.? She was sent a piece of her father?s shroud as a keepsake. Her parents and brother were buried in a cemetery on the James Whitmore farm near Somanauk, Illinois. (The author viewed the headstones in 1974, nearly covered up completely.) Her brother?s mill had also burned to the ground for the third time.
Henry sold the lot in St. George and they moved to Cedar City near two of their married children. They were poor, as most of their neighbors were. The children walked to school in the snow barefoot. Henry worked on the St. George temple, and rejoined the family in Cedar City when it was finished. Then they moved near their oldest son, Richard Henry, who had found a spot of land where the east and west forks of the Sevier River came together.
Sarah was made the president of the Relief Society in Junction, with Permelia Morrill and Hanna Sudweeks as her counselors. They began with only six members, but had eighteen by the end of the year. They alternated meetings in Junction and Kingston. They had quilting bees and rag bees for rag rugs. They helped each other with children and sickness.
They still washed with washboards and ironed with a small heated iron. Their light was tallow wicks, mostly homemade. They baked in a dutch oven, and churned butter by hand. They also sewed by hand, with homespun woolen yarn they combed and spun on a spinning wheel. Young people had candy pulls, hay rides, races, games and dances.
Henry?s nephew and niece (James and Emma Sudweeks) and Emma?s son came to Utah, where they stayed with Henry and Sarah. This created problems, and eventually Sarah moved out of the house and Henry married his niece, Emma. He was seventy years old, and she was forty. Sarah lived with her children until her death, where she continued to be a midwife, taking care of the sick and delivering babies (Brigham Young had set her apart for this). She never lost a mother or a baby.
Sarah Sweet died on November 12, 1911 in Richfield Utah.

Wanda Veater, her granddaughter, said this about her:
?Sarah Sweet was an excellent midwife. In her language she was very choice and was never boyish. It was strictly business. When she called her children, it was always by their full name. She never said ?take a chair,? it was always ?be seated.? In her home she always had prayer night and morning. Her motto was ?A place for everything and everything in its place.?
?Around sickness she was very good. Aunt Lydia Elder told me this about her, ?I was very ill with typhoid fever and Grandma Sweet came over and bundled me up with blankets that night. The very next morning my fever had broken and I felt a great deal better.?
?As a girl, I would walk from Kingston over to Grandma Sweet?s and she would always give me a piece of bread and butter. Grandma Sweet kept her bed curtains very neat and white, even though she lived in a log house. She always wore a white collar and a pin with a lady on it. She was very exacting.?

Notes about other of her ancestors:
Her great grandfather John Archibald stowed away on a British man-o-war and came to America from Scotland as a boy. He was running away from a cheese maker to whom he was apprenticed and who gave him little to eat. He would eat some of the cheese, and the cheesemaker would beat him.
Her grandmother Margaret Archibald and her husband left Nova Scotia and went to Upper Canada when it was opened for settlement. They were given as much land as they wanted for a dollar and living on it for at least a year.
Her father Wait Sweet was a freighter for the Canadian Government during the war of 1812. After his marriage, he lived on a farm in west ?Old Toronto,? which is now under the Toronto airport. Her father and mother left Canada to come to Northville Township, Illinois, where they were neighbors to Henry Sudweeks.

Sweet, Sarah (I892)
5 Some researchers have mistakenly confused our Charles Rogers (born 1874 in Pennsylvania, last found in Colorado in 1880) with a Charles F. Rogers (born in 1869 in New York) found in the 1920 Census back in Brooklyn, Kings, New York. This Charles F. was also in Brooklyn in 1900 with parents William (born 1844 in Pa, not 1849 in NY) & Frances (b in 1854, similar to our 1853). There is no Ella listed as we found in the 1880 census. She should be 4 years older than Charles, but would have to be a year younger than Charles F. And the final piece is that both families are in the 1880 census - one in Colorado, one in Brooklyn - two different William & Frances Rogers families with a son named Charles. There are some who believe Charles F's parents are William F Rogers & Mary F Dusenberry (not Wanamaker). I did not pursue this. Rogers, Charles (I1146)
6 While searching for Minna Meyer married to an Ahrend, I found one marriage - to a Ruldoph Arend. Unfortunately that Minna Meyer had a different set of parents and was still married to & living with Rudolph & their children at the time our Minna Meyer was married to Louis Oest, according to the 1910 & 1920 census. Meyer, Minna (I1219)